Sheena shares more detail about their practice us and how they felt about being shortlisted for a Bristol Teaching Award.
- Which Award were you shortlisted for?
Inspiring and Innovative Team Award
- How did you feel when you found out you had been shortlisted for an Award?
Absolutely delighted. It is great to receive recognition for all the hard work we put into teaching and making the student experience excellent.
- Can you tell us a little bit about your practice and why you were nominated?
My practice is to find different ways of making the material accessible and for complex ideas to be explored in less daunting ways. Use of videos has really helped and practical exercises that try to bring some of the theoretical approaches to life. I try to draw on contemporary social issues in order to understand the research process and make students feel more confident in undertaking their own research studies.
- What inspires you to go the extra mile with your teaching?
Students’ engagement with the material and a passion for the subject. Having a good team helps immensely as we work together and have similar pedagogical approaches.
- What would you like to share with others about your teaching practice?
Trying to create dialogue with students, building their confidence and working with great colleagues.