Introduction to HE teaching at Bristol
January 8, 2024 @ 2:00 pm - January 12, 2024 @ 4:30 pm
This blended course has been designed for those new to teaching and/or supporting learning including:
- Teaching support roles – for example demonstrators, graduate teachers and associate teachers
- Research staff (pathway 2) with some teaching responsibilities
- Teaching staff (pathway 1 or 3) new to teaching at Bristol waiting to join the PGCAP or the CREATE HEA Fellowship Scheme
All research staff and PGRs who teach are required to engage in appropriate training to support them in their teaching: this training course fills this requirement and replaces the Starting to Teach programme.
New for 2024: Lab demonstrators who have previously completed the course are welcome to attend the new session designed exclusively for this specialist area. This can be selected on the online application form. No additional payment is provided for this training if you have already been paid to complete the Introduction to HE Teaching course.
This short, blended course is scheduled across 3 days for 60-minutes per day.
The aim of the course is to provide you with the skills and knowledge to plan learning and teaching for flexible and blended delivery. In the course you will:
- Explore current thinking about engaging and interactive learning
- Examine principles of inclusive teaching
- Engage with good practice in marking and giving feedback
- Experience how different technologies can support different types of learning and teaching
- Apply principles of good practice to your teaching and your context
This year we are able to offer face to face and asynchronous ways to engage with the course using the Blackboard platform.
- Monday 8 January 14:00-15:00 in person
- Monday 8 January 15:30-16:30 online
- Wednesday 10 January 10:00-11:00 in person – for those leading classroom-based teaching
- Wednesday 10 January 11:30-12:30 in person – for lab demonstrators
- Wednesday 10 January 14:00-15:00 online – for those leading classroom- based teaching
- Wednesday 10 January 15:30-16:30 online – for lab demonstrators
- Friday 12 January 14:00-15:00 in person
- Friday 12 January 15:30-16:30 online
How to enrol
Please enrol on the course through this Sign-Up Form. We will then be in contact via email nearer the time with more information.
For teaching support staff: will I get paid?
All hourly paid staff will get paid to engage with the course. You can claim up to 4.5 hours. Claim alongside your teaching hours; any queries direct to your line manager/MyERP signee. As this is an online course, we will use Blackboard engagement statistics to verify your engagement and on completion you will receive a certificate.
What if I have already engaged with the University’s Digital Design course or Blended Learning and Teaching course?
This course draws from these events but has new and specifically designed material suitable as an introduction to teaching. You don’t need to attend Introduction to HE Teaching at Bristol if you have already attended Digital Design of Blended Learning and Teaching but are welcome to attend if you wish to refresh your skills and would benefit from further input.
If you have any questions please contact the team at email@example.com