- This event has passed.
Blended Learning and Teaching: into the brave new world (asynchronous course)
October 12, 2020 @ 9:00 am - October 19, 2020 @ 5:00 pm
Registration for this course will end at 5pm on Monday 19th October
This completely online asynchronous course focused on blended teaching has been specifically designed for hourly paid staff contracted to work as Demonstrators (Grade F), Teaching Support Assistants (Grade G) and Assistant Teachers (Grade H). The programme will support you in your roles as we face the challenges of a new learning and teaching environment.
Both the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Professor Judith Squires) and PVC Education (Professor Tansy Jessop) have supported the mandating of this programme and as such the required attendance will be paid for at normal hourly rate.
The aim of the course is to provide you with the skills and knowledge to plan learning and teaching for flexible and blended delivery.
In the course you will:
- Explore what the new blended environment will mean for teaching and learning
- Engage with good practice and current thinking about engaging and inclusive design for your context
- Experience how different technologies can support different types of learning and teaching
- Apply principles of online and blended design to your teaching
This online course will run from Monday 12th October to Friday 23rd October. There are five thematic sessions, each consisting of approximately 1.5 hours asynchronous activity.
We recommend you engage with 1 session a day in the first week if possible – to maximise the benefit from online activities e.g. collaborative sharing and discussion. For added flexibility activities in the course will be moderated across the 2 weeks to allow you to complete them if you did not have time during the first week. The course team will respond to a sample of activity, and you will have opportunities to share and discuss themes with your peers on the course.
Course materials will continue to be available to you for the rest of the academic year.
- Session 1: ‘Blended learning and teaching: What will the new world look like and what kind of teacher will you be?’
- Session 2: ‘Teaching interactive sessions, either: Lab-based / demonstrations or Seminars / small group teaching’
- Session 3: ‘Teaching inclusively’
- Session 4: ‘Marking and giving feedback’
- Session 5: ‘Nurturing relationships, summary and close’
What if I have already engaged with the University’s Digital Design course? This course draws from the Digital Design course but has new and specifically designed material suitable for hourly paid staff so should complement any other training you have undertaken.
For enquiries about registering onto this course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For enquiries about course content please contact email@example.com
The course has been developed by CREATE, DEO and BILT